Malawi Institute of Management
EXECUTIVE DEAN- MIM BUSINESS SCHOOL
A. INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
The Malawi Institute of Management (MIM) was established by Act No. 7 of 1989 with the mandate of providing training programmes and seminars, workshops aimed at upgrading and improving managerial skills of managers in the public service including statutory bodies and the private sector; and to provide management consultancy services to the Government including statutory bodies and the private sector.
MIM has therefore established itself as Centre of Excellence and in the Malawi’s premier Institute in leadership and management training, research and consultancy.
In order to fulfil its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management in the MIM Business School, an excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill a Management position of EXECUTIVE DEAN tenable at MIM’s main Campus in Lilongwe. MIM therefore invites applications from suitable candidates to fill this position on a three (3) year employment contract.
This is a highly demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate academic, managerial and administrative innovations geared at making MIM a vibrant and highly competitive institution. The following are the required personnel and work related traits for the position:
B. GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The Executive Dean is the principal officer of the School under the general direction of the Director of Training, Research and Consultancy and shall serve as the Chairperson of the MIM Business School’s Academic Board. The Executive Dean shall play a critical role in translating to reality the aims and
objectives of the School and fulfilling the vision and mission of the institute. The Dean is thus responsible for articulating the strategic vision for the School; managing the strategic planning processes; encouraging and supporting excellence in teaching, research and outreach; promoting collaborative relationships internally and externally; and managing alumni relations. The expectation is that the Dean shall provide transformative leadership for the growth and development of the MIM Business School in the country and even beyond.
C. KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (JOB DESCRIPTION)
The Executive Dean shall be responsible, but not limited, for the following:
Leadership and Management
- Creating a strategic vision and managing strategic planning processes for the School in alignment with MIM’s strategic goals and objectives
- Developing and implementing the School’s academic programmes and services such as teaching, learning, research, consultancy and outreach guided by the Institute’s motto of “Centre of Excellence”;
- Providing leadership in training, research, publication, consultancy and outreach to enhance the visibility and competitiveness of MIM’s programmes, activities and brand.
- Ensuring that appropriate structures and mechanisms are in place for the governance of the School such as a Faculty Board, a Teaching and Learning Committee, a Research Committee etc.
- Fostering and maintaining sound personal and professional relationships among members of staff and between staff and clients.
- Identifying, attracting and strategically managing financial resources for the MIM Business School.
Teaching and Learning
- Regular review of existing curricula in line with emerging academic research outcomes and innovations within the disciplines of the School that ensures that the School remains competitive and relevant at national, regional and international levels.
- Plan and evaluate the School’s programmes and activities with particular focus on the promotion of excellence on teaching, learning and research.
- Managing student’s teaching and learning, examinations and assessment processes ensuring that grades are submitted on time by all faculties and departments.
- Guide and review work of academic staff responsible for long-term training to ensure quality control and maintenance of standards and achievement of agreed targets
- Ensuring ongoing quality and continuous improvement in the School’s academic programmes at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and in both traditional and online programmes to achieve the agreed targets.
- Collaborating with strategic partners such as Government, Industry, research institutions and other
relevant stakeholders in the development of academic programmes of the School to ensure that the School has competitive and relevant academic programmes;
- Coordinating and facilitating alternative teaching and learning avenues (including open and distance learning) in order to widen access to higher education.
- Ensuring that a plan is in place for the staffing profile of the School and that the recruitment, induction, assessment, training and development and succession planning of all staff within the School is effectively managed in accordance with relevant policies, processes and procedures for the approval of staff appointment.
Research, Publications and Innovation
- Overseeing branding and marketing efforts to enhance School’s visibility and reputation both within and outside the country
- Marketing research and innovation outputs and services of the School to industry, the public, the donor community and the world at large in line with the Intellectual Property Policy of the School
- Initiating and promoting ethically accountable research of quality, and increasing research output for the School.
- Enhance collaborative research projects and innovative research that result in improved performance of public and private sector organizations
- Encourage academic members of staff to embark on investigative research that brings about viable socio-economic changes in people’s livelihoods.
- Supervising the management of internal and external funding for research and the discharge of responsibilities in that regard.
- Coordinate dissemination and publication of research outcomes of the School Consultancy, Outreach and Service
- Lead in the review, development, implementation and evaluation of MIM’s consultancy policy and programmes
- Coordinate proposal development and the management of the consultancy process as a whole
- Ensuring that the School engages in outreach programmes that benefit the community surrounding the Institute and the Malawi nation at large Managing the School’s overall consultancy, outreach and service agenda including mentoring staff to ensure the delivery of these services in a professional and competent manner.
D. ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications and experience:
- A PhD majoring in Management/ Administration/Economics/ Business/ Education or any relevant field
- The applicant must also have a least ten (10) years proven managerial experience at increasing level of seniority and responsibility, five (5) of which should have been in the design and implementation of training, consulting and research programmes.
REQUISITE COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate for the position must:
- Have knowledge of Malawi Government’s development policies and strategies, especially as they relate to capacity building;
- Have Knowledge of training, consulting and research processes;
- Have Leadership and Management training, consultancy and research skills;
- Be able to lead and manage a multi-disciplinary team of technical and professional staff;
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills;
Strong organizational skills. versatility, ability to multi task and meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Ability to work as a team leader and member with leadership skills for coaching and developing employees;
- Mature and good communicator with adequate negotiating skills; and
- Be Computer literate.
E. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
MIM shall offer an attractive employee benefits package to successful candidate in accordance with its emolument structure (commensurate with qualifications and experience) which includes salary, medical insurance, and membership to Contributory Medical Scheme.
F. METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested persons should submit applications, enclosing copies of the certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with names and contact details of three (3) names of traceable referees by 13th August 2021 to:
The Acting Executive Director
Malawi Institute of Management
P.O BOX 30801, Capital City, Lilongwe 3, Malawi.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.