The Council for the Mzuzu University (MZUNI) is inviting applications from suitably qualified, experienced and distinguished finance and accounting professionals to fill the vacant position of Finance Officer at Mzuzu University. The position is at director’s level within the University Management structure.
MZUNI is the second public University in Malawi, which was established by the Mzuzu University Act No. 12 of 1997 appearing as Chapter 30:09 in the Laws of Malawi. The University has a dual mode of delivery of education (face-to-face and Open, Distance and e-Learning – ODeL). MZUNI has presently an enrolment of 10, 150 students in six faculties: Education; Environmental Sciences; Health Sciences; Science, Technology and Innovation; Humanities and Social Sciences; and Tourism, Hospitality and
The Finance Officer
The office of Finance Officer is established under Mzuzu University Statute VI. Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor on financial matters, the Finance Officer is responsible for the strategic leadership of the Finance Department, directing the use of University’s financial resources and ensuring compliance with
public and University financial regulations and policies. He or she works in cooperation with the University administration, faculties, centres and departments as well as with University staff in their individual capacities.
The duties and responsibilities of the Finance Officer shall include:
- Leadership and Management
- Provide innovative leadership to the University geared at the furtherance of the objectives of the University.
- Spearhead strategic planning, policy formulation and implementation targeted at the University and responsive to the needs of Malawi in particular and the world in general.
- Participating in Budget Strategy Meetings and growth strategy meetings with other senior University officers.
- Ensure high standards of discipline among staff members in the Finance Section.
- Ensure adherence to financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Servicing the Finance Committee of Council and Management Cash Budget Meetings.
- Carry out any reasonable assignment delegated by the Vice Chancellor from time to time.
- Financial Management
- Ensure compliance with Financial Regulations and all statutory provisions of Public Finance Management Act, Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Act and various Government Policies.
- Lead the development of annual budgets and ensure that funds raised by the University and those provided by Government are efficiently and effectively managed.
- Supervise stores and ensure assets and inventories are updated regularly and according to statutory provisions.
- Produce monthly, quarterly management accounts and financial statements for statutory audits.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships with various providers of goods and services towards common mutual interest.
- Champion the process of obtaining MRA VAT certification.
- Analysis of Investment Opportunities/ Generation of Revenue Growth Ideas
- Ensure that the University’s investment capital is able to realise surpluses and that they are optimally utilised.
- Devise strategies for the institution to make more money based on current market trends.
- Offer analysis on the institutional mergers and acquisition proceedings under the direction of the Vice-Chancellor.
- Delineate scenarios for Heads of Departments, Deans of Faculty and Senate to ensure better and more informed decision making.
- Providing financial analysis on the remuneration wage bill against staff increases.
- Policy Guidance to the Vice-Chancellor and Leadership Team
- Advise the Vice-Chancellor on all financial matters.
- Initiate development and review of financial policies and regulations.
- Jointly with Heads of Departments and Sections review fees and consultancy fees to inform policy guidelines.
- Support other departments on financial and accounting matters.
- Liaise with external stakeholders to develop and maintain strategic healthy partnerships.
The candidate for the post of Finance Officer must be an individual with outstanding financial and administrative experience with at least 10 years at senior management level. He or she must be a proven leader and manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the person must:
- be proven leader with financial and managerial standing at senior Management level in either public or private sector. Candidates from the public sector should have attained the level of deputy
director or above while those from the private sector should have attained the level of chief finance officer or above;
- must possess a master’s degree and a first degree earned from a reputable University in any of the following disciplines: Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business Administration or Mathematics. The individual must also have professional qualifications such as CIMA, ACCA or ACA or their equivalent;
- possess a proven and demonstrable ability to lead and manage a diversity of staff in finance or accounts department(s); be results oriented and of high integrity;
- have sound knowledge of financial accounting process and controls with proven experience of working with journals, reconciliations and invoicing;
- have excellent interpersonal skills and able to deal with a diverse workforce;
- exhibit self-drive (and requiring minimum supervision) in budget planning, motoring and evaluation including ability to propose strategies for resource use efficiency;
- demonstrate skills in financial analysis and future predictions;
- demonstrate ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in finance/accounting;
- have tractable experience in use and management of various financial packages such as SAP, QuickBooks, Tableau, Xero Accounting Software, Sage Evolution and HP TRIM; AccPac;
- possess a flair to work with academic and research staff in budgeting and reporting on large grants;
- providing customer service to clients and strategically resolving financial disputes raised by the clients; and
- possess proven skills of team building, written and oral communication, and Information, Communication and Technology (ICT).
Tenure of the Post and Remuneration Package
The successful candidate shall hold office for a period of four years and may be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of office based on satisfactory performance. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and fringe benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and
qualifications in accordance with the MZUNI emolument structure.
Method of application
Candidates should submit both hard copies and electronic copies as detailed below:
(a) Hard Copy Submission
Candidates must submit their applications in hard copy application with an up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), names and contacts of three traceable referees and copies of their academic and professional qualifications.
The applications should be addressed as follows:
JOB VAC: FO
The University Registrar
Private Bag 201
(b) Electronic Submission
The submission of the hard copy should be accompanied by electronic submission through e-mail of the same application package. An application letter including accompanying materials must be e-mailed as attachments in PDF or MS Word format to: email@example.com. The subject line of the application should read, “Application for the Post of Finance Officer”.
The full application package must be received by the University Registrar not later than Monday, 2nd August, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.