Catholic Health Commission (CHC)
Senior Medical Advisor, VMMC
Position Reports To : National Health Coordinator
Location: Blantyre, Malawi
The Senior Medical Advisor for Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC), will be the Catholic Health Commission (CHC) lead expert on all clinical aspects of VMMC service delivery for the Expanding Malawi HIV/AIDS Prevention with Local Organization
Working for an Effective Epidemic Response (EMPOWER) project. This is a United States’ government (USG) integrated HIV prevention project in Malawi. The project, led by Jhpiego, with sub-partner CHC, aims to prevent new HIV infections in priority populations through increased uptake of high quality VMMC services among males aged 15-29. The project aims to increase availability of and access to VMMC services, increase demand for VMMC among targeted age-groups, improve quality of VMMC
services, and strengthen linkages between VMMC and other services. EMPOWER is a five-year project currently in the second year of operation. The post of Sr. Medical Advisor with CHC, will ultimately assume the Sr. Medical Advisor for the EMPOWER project when project implementation for service deliver is transitioned to CHC for the remainder of the project.
Initially, the position will operate under the leadership of the Jhpiego DCOP/ Sr. Medical Advisor who will provide mentoring support in overseeing and ensuring the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with project team and Jhpiego, the position will be mentored to support the design and implementation of service delivery strategies based on scientific evidence. She/he will provide expert guidance on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches for scale up of safe VMMC services and support and work with COP and DCOP/ Sr. Medical advisor in day-to-day implementation of VMMC services and management of the project. She/he will work closely with the DCOP/ Sr. Medical Advisor who will equip him/her with the skills and knowledge to assume full technical leadership end of year 3 of the project. She/he will also recommend and institute improvements in the safety and quality of VMMC services and engage in mentoring of clinical staff.
- Provide strategic direction and technical oversight to activities implemented by CHC
- Ensure that all the CHC teams are in place, sites are set and always have required staffing, supplies and equipment, and that the sites have adequate demand to meet their daily targets.
- Ensure that site team have the required clinical skills and meet quality standards;
- With the DCOP/ Sr. Medical advisor, establish and implement a system of Continuous Quality Assessment and Improvement (CQI) to ensure technical quality of project activities meet National, PEPFAR, WHO and Jhpiego VMMC guidelines and policies.
- With support of the DCOP/Sr. Medical Advisor, provide support supervision, mentoring and capacity building through couching at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
- Clinical VMMC service delivery
- Quality assurance and improvement
- Will work with the DCOP/Sr. Medical advisor to develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, and curricula, supervisory systems needed for implementation of the project to meet PEPFAR and Government of Malawi needs
- Coach and mentor site staff to ensure they are equipped with the skills, knowledge and expertise to oversee the overall technical and programmatic compliance with PEPFAR WHO and National standards at all times
- Support in the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted VMMC services including but not limited to transition into use of reusable kits, use of devices, human centered approach to service delivery among others;
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing the project;
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify VMMC clinical and community-based service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of VMMC services
- Identify and implement appropriate facility- and community-based strategies to address VMMC service delivery gaps
- Work closely with the DCOP/ Sr Medical advisor under guidance of Chief of Party to set project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to VMMC to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Under the mentorship of the DCOP/Senior Medical advisor, collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other US and international implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of CHC activities and results to the project, contributing to the routine, quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for VMMC
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Maintain excellent relationships with in country PEPFAR, MOH and other stakeholders
- To participate in the development of the project work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USG, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award.
Required Qualifications, Experience, skills and Competencies
- Bachelor Degree in Medicine, Nursing or Public Health.
- Surgical training and experience will be an added advantage
- 6-7 years of experience in the health sector- including clinical and/or managerial/ administrative positions
- Three years of demonstrated leadership and advisory role
- Familiarity with innovative, interdisciplinary approaches such as human-centered design and behavioral economics for increasing demand for and use of health products and services.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in HIV and VMMC programming
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Malawi healthcare system, particularly the public health system.
- Familiarity with USG’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work in a clinical setting through support supervision and mentoring
- Experience in implementing public Health programs and working with cross-sectorial key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector at all levels
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
For further information about CHC, visit our website at: www.ecmmw.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation and approval by the donor.
All applications should be sent to:
The Secretary General
P O Box 30384
Or Email: email@example.com
The closing date to receive applications is 30th July, 2021