Innovation Africa (iA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 300 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food and proper medical care to more than 2 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Zambia, eSwatini, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified professional to join our Malawi team as a Mid-Level Engineering Field Program Manager, based in Mangochi District. The Program Manager is responsible for the management of all Innovation: Africa operations in Malawi and is the direct supervisor for all iA Malawi staff members. The Program Manager must also have background and working experience in the field of engineering in order to support the design, implementation, and management of iA’s solar water pumping systems, as well as completing maintenance and providing technical support to all existing water projects.
Further, the Program Manager will be required to schedule, coordinate, and implement the weekly work plans of iA’s Malawi team, including water engineers and hired contractors, as well as all water and solar-related field activities. This includes identifying and selecting our project beneficiaries, actively facilitating community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities and providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. This position requires frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, as well as manage all stages of iA’s solar water pumping systems.
Country Director in Israel
- Manage iA’s team of local Malawi team of field officers, electrical and water engineers, including creating weekly work plans and ensuring their successful implementation.
- Supervise the on-site work of all iA contractors, including hydrogeological surveys, drilling and pump tests, water quality analysis, and all construction and installation works related to ongoing water projects.
- Ensure contractors’ strict adherence to all project timelines, and provide Country Director and Deputy Country Director with daily updates and reports from the field.
- Oversee all field operations related to solar powered electrification and water projects, including identifying prospective projects, project construction/installation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Work closely with iA’s international and local team of engineers and contractors to plan, design, and implement solar water pumping systems, including the system’s water distribution layout.
- Assessment of a community’s water needs and calculation of available water supply to properly size the system’s submersible water pump.
- Assess the need for maintenance work on existing water projects, identify faults and malfunctions, and provide sustainable solutions.
- Procure and source invoices of all approved system components to ensure organizational transparency and identification of reliable vendors with high quality, cost effective, items.
- Create competitive construction and maintenance budgets on Microsoft Excel using procured invoices.
- Conduct effective community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees.
- Maintain regular contact with iA’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar water technologies and remote monitoring systems.
- Establish and manage relationships and communication with local, national, and international stakeholders.
- The ideal candidate is a passionate and effective team leader, with a minimum of 3 years of managerial experience, working with an engineering team.
- Possess at least 3 years of experience working with solar water pumping systems.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serving vulnerable communities.
- Professional experience working with community mobilization, sensitization, and development.
- Exceptional attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents, using WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom at flexible hours.
- Proven ability to inspire teams and lead by example.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Water Resources Management, Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Extensive experience working with solar water pumping systems, including network design using
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
- Relocation to the Mangochi District.
- Driver’s license and off-roading experience.
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends.
- Native level Chichewa, additional knowledge of Yao will be considered an advantage.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as WhatsApp and Skype. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
- Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com.
- The file name should be saved as your full name.
- Please include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.