United Purpose (UP) Malawi
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is by far and away our largest and most established country programme. UP currently operates in 24 districts in Malawi, supporting over 30 on-going projects, with a total staff of around 200.
UP Malawi is seeking to recruit a talented person to fill in the vacant position of Procurement and Logistics Manager tenable at their head office in Lilongwe. S/he will report directly to the Deputy Country Director – Operations. The Procurement and Logistics Manager is responsible for managing all United Purpose procurements and logistics in accordance with relevant guidelines, ensuring that all procurements are processed timely, and that value for money is obtained on all procurements and logistical support is provided in a timely and professional manner. S/he is responsible for providing leadership in establishing and monitoring continuous quality improvement, innovation, and quality assurance processes across procurement and logistics in order to improve internal processes, results delivery and accountability at various levels.
The position will be familiar with procurement guidelines for key donors such as EU, GIZ, Embassy of Ireland and USAID amongst others.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure that all procurements are in accordance with United Purpose policies and donor-specific procurement guidelines.
- Ensure that UP Malawi pre-qualified list of suppliers is accurately maintained and adhered to for all procurements.
- Ensure that the Procurement and Logistics policy is a living and breathing document relevant both to UP’s operations and the external administrative and legal context.
- Manages a transparent supplier selection and evaluation system for all pre-qualified suppliers.
- Prepares annual procurement plans for the organisation
- Facilitates the clearance of goods in line with applicable tax regulations and donor rules.
- Ensure that all invoices are timely submitted to Finance Department for processing.
- Ensures that the monitoring system for checking prices paid for the goods are in line with current market prices is working effectively.
- Recommends process improvements in the supply chain which will not jeopardise quality and service delivery.
- Prepares and reviews vendor contracts.
- Build and maintains good relationship with vendors.
- Provides guidance to National Procurement Committee and District Procurement Committees and ensure that these committees are functional and relevant
- Produces various procurement reports.
- Manages the organisation fleet (motor vehicles and motor cycles) including arranging for insurance cover, routine inspections and maintenance.
- Ensures the car track system is effectively being managed.
- Assess the current eProcurement system and put in place improvements
- Lead coordination between the logistics team and project managers to facilitate effective, efficient and timely program implementation.
- Lead the Logistics team to ensure efficient and timely transportation of goods for operations and programmes between warehouses and field sites, ensuring full control of movement and accurate goods receipt processes are in place.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the Procurement and Logistics department, and two direct line reports.
- Ensure that the stores team properly document all the stores transactions and documents are properly filed for tracking purposes.
Successful candidates will have:
- A Master’s Degree in Supply Chain Management (or pending completion).
- Professional certification and membership to Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS)
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in project procurement management, preferably in an international NGO Sector.
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders includes government and non- governmental organizations.
- Strong respect and empathy for communities, and an affinity to UP’s mission and values of integrity, dignity and environmental respect.
- Well-refined people management, team working and interpersonal skills and experience.
- Proactive and highly motivated individual who requires minimum supervision.
- Computer skills.
- High levels of personal and professional integrity.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Team player that thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, and entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work independently and take a lead with new ideas.
- Ability to build/maintain good relationships with stakeholders – especially suppliers, government staff and communities
- Meticulous timekeeper, planner and communicator
Terms and conditions
The position will attract a generous benefits package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, medical aid, insurance, annual leave, leave grant, etc
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates who meet the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please visit https://united-purpose.org/s/UP-Job-Application-Form-2wtb.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have difficulty accessing the form, then contact us at email@example.com. When submitting, please cite the position you are applying for in the subject title and application form. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered. No hard copies / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is 12:00 Midnight of Wednesday, 4th August, 2021. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
United Purpose takes the safety and well-being of all those we work with, and our staff, very seriously. Our Safeguarding Policy reflects our commitment to protect the people we work with and for from harm. All candidates are expected to comply with this policy and take steps to support a safe and thriving culture at United Purpose.
For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.united-purpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.