Catholic Health Commission (CHC) of the Diocese of Chikwawa
The Catholic Health Commission (CHC) of the Diocese of Chikwawa is one of the main Commissions under the Social Services Directorate of the diocese, and is an arm of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi. Its main function is to enhance the provision of equitable health services in the Diocese of Chikwawa. Catholic Health Commission is affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University – Jhpiego in developing innovations to enhance the capacity of health care workers, strengthening health systems and improve delivery of care towards improving the health and well-being.
The Catholic Health Commission, therefore, seeks to engage the services of a well experienced, highly motivated and suitably qualified person of Malawi origin to fill the following position tenable at Chikwawa.
Position: HTS Counsellor
Reports to: The Site Team Leader
Purpose of the role
The Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) HTS Counselor is responsible for providing safe Medical Male Circumcision Services-as a counsellor, to eligible persons in Malawi at designated facilities
supported by Jhpiego. The position entails frequent travel to support fixed, outreach and campaign VMMC activities whenever and wherever in the district the need arises. The candidate should expect to travel to the field about 50% of his/her time. The VMMC Clinical Provider is an integral member of Jhpiego’s VMMC team and reports to VMMC Team Leader
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare clients and guardians for VMMC services by doing group education, HIV testing and counselling before procedures at designated health facilities as part of a comprehensive package of VMMC services in line with national and donor policies and guidelines.
- Participate in VMMC activities at outreach sites and clinics during VMMC campaigns.
- Ensure that stringent infection control measures are maintained prior, during, and after HIV testing service.
- Perform regular proficiency testing and keep records of the testing.
- Actively participate in quality assurance activities, and take a leading role in quality improvement.
- Ensure the group education and HTS rooms are well-prepared and clean before and after the services.
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as required
- Support demand creation activities as and when assigned by the team leader
- Perform any other reasonable VMMC related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Identifies lessons learned, and share them within the team and across the program.
- Represents the project in the community and professional circles as and when assigned by the supervisor.
- Contributes to documentation and dissemination of best practices and innovative program approaches in the program.
- Maintain excellent image with the donor, MOH, partners and stakeholders;
- Contributes to abstracts, presentations, manuscripts, and success stories, and collaborate with the communications specialist to develop stories for internal/ external use
Qualifications and Abilities
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Health or Social Sciences with training in HIV testing and counselling.
- At least two years of work experience in a clinical setting.
- Training in and/or previous experience working in VMMC programs strongly desired.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Chichewa
- Willingness to engage in frequent travel (about 50% of his/ her time) to support outreach and mass circumcision activities within Malawi.
Remuneration and Mode of Application
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidate.
If you believe you meet the above requirements, submit your application letter, up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates and names of three traceable referees to the address below indicating the position applied for. Closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday, 8th June, 2021 and only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The Director of Social Services
Diocese of Chikwawa
PO Box 162,
Diocese of Chikwawa is an equal opportunities employer and qualified women are encouraged to apply.