Malawi Engineering Institution (MEI)
Malawi Engineering Institution (MEI) was established through an Act of Parliament – MEI Act, 2019 as the authority of the engineering profession for qualifications, regulation, registration, discipline and the promotion and development of the profession of engineering in Malawi. In order to fulfil its mandate effectively and efficiently, the MEI invites suitably qualified and experienced dynamic individuals to fill the challenging position of REGISTRAR (GRADE MEI 1) on three-year contract, renewable, based on satisfactory performance.
Purpose of the Job
To provide effective leadership for the optimal management of the Malawi Engineering Institution.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting the Board in identifying organizational structure, staff skill requirements in recruitment of staff and staff development strategy.
- Monitoring and reviewing resource mobilization activities.
- Secretary to Board and all Committees of Board and ensure that Board members are inducted in corporate governance.
- Prepare Strategic plans and related annual work plans and budgets for MEI Board approval and spearhead their implementation and monitoring;
- Monitor and supervise all operations of the MEI Secretariat including functions pertaining to general administration of the MEI such as human resources management, procurement and marketing of the MEI services.
- Prepare and facilitate approval of the MEI key operational documents such as policies, budgets, financial statements and operational manuals and ensure implementation of same
- Identify operational areas requiring performance improvement and effect required measures:
- Designing and implementing CPDs for the professionals and all professional development initiatives in addition to CPDs
- Ensure compliance to standard operating procedures by staff and outsourced service providers.
- Ensure availability of equipment, tools aid supplies for daily operations and assets and property acquisition and management
- Facilitate institutional member led activities at Institutional, Division and Branch levels.
- Ensure compliance levels for engineering professionals, engineering units and engineering organisations are raised
- Ensure compliance with the MEI Board resolutions, MEI Act, and any other relevant laws or statutory regulations;
- Ensure operational cost efficiency and financial viability of the Institution
- Ensure use of ICT in all MEI operations
- Development and implementation of revenue mobilisation strategies
- Stakeholder engagements including during emergencies, investigations and disasters
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Minimum Education and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in any Engineering discipline recognized under MEI Act No13 of 2019;
- Member of the Malawi Engineering Institution:
- Registered Engineer
- Additional degree level qualification in business administration, social sciences, or a knowledge and information centred discipline Iike education, computer sciences, library and information science studies will be a distinct advantage for the position;
Minimum Relevant Experience
- Five (5) years relevant work experience at senor management level within an infrastructure industry academic or statutory regulation environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software package (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Required Attributes and Skills
The position requires a highly competent person with a proven and impressive track record in senior management and roles. The applicant should also have strong innovative skills, together with the experience and energy necessary to lead a multi-functional team, and capable of engaging with and influencing a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Board shall offer an attractive employee benefits package commensurate with qualifications
and experience based on its Staff Terms and Conditions of Service.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application letters together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates and at least three traceable referees should be submitted to the following address:
Malawi Engineering Institution
PO BOX 1193
Applications should reach the President not later than 9th June 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged
MEI is an equal opportunity employer