United Purpose Malawi
WASH Projects Manager (Operations) – Based in Lilongwe, with frequent travel to project sites
United Purpose (UP) Malawi is an international non-governmental organisation working to create opportunities for lasting improvement in peoples’ lives. We work in partnership with others to support a range of livelihoods and food security, WASH and health, sustainable energy and gender equality programmes reaching over 1,000,000 people a year across Malawi. Globally, we work in nine countries across Africa, Asia and South America, however our Malawi programme is by far and away our largest and most established country programme. UP currently operates in 17 districts in Malawi, supporting 24 on-going projects, and a team of 180.
UP is implementing various WASH Projects in Dowa, Thyolo, Dedza, Lilongwe, Mzimba, and Zomba districts primarily targeting underserved communities working in close collaboration with relevant Government line ministries and WASH actors. The goal of the program is to contribute to reduction in morbidity and mortality of rural people in Malawi, especially under five children caused by WASH related diseases. The objective is to increase access to safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene practices in target communities and selected schools and ensure sustainable operation and maintenance of WASH facilities by beneficiaries in partnership with the district councils and private sector.
UP Malawi is therefore seeking to recruit a talented and dynamic WASH Projects Manager to lead technical program delivery in the target districts. S/he must firmly be committed to delivering lasting positive improvements to the communities that we serve, and delivering UP’s mission and upholding our values of integrity, dignity, and environmental respect.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Regional WASH Program Manager, s/he will be the WASH Technical lead and is accountable for the overall planning, implementation, monitoring, quality – control and reporting of all WASH Projects. S/he will manage human, financial and other resources for all the WASH Projects. S/he will have responsibility for ensuring that the projects are managed effectively and efficiently. S/he will line manage all WASH Project Managers, working in close collaboration with Project Accountants.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide overall day to day management oversight for the planning and delivery of WASH projects, ensuring that all projects are implemented within acceptable quality, timeframe and budget.
- Ensure the implementation of all WASH projects are in compliance with donor’s requirements, government policies and global and national standards.
- Work with Project Managers to ensure effective project budgetary control and monitoring is in line with UP’s financial procedures and guidelines, and fraud and risk management policies.
- Ensure that Project Managers produce timely and quality technical and financial reports both for donors and internal use; timely review & submit the reports to Regional WASH Program Manager for sign off.
- Ensure proper project/program assessments, design, monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management processes are employed in the WASH program; and fully engage to make sure that appropriate monitoring tools including electronic based platforms are used to support the monitoring and decision-making processes.
- Develop and submit weekly updates and monthly monitoring and documentation reports to Regional WASH Manager.
- Ensure that appropriate human resource performance monitoring mechanisms with proper coaching and mentoring are practiced to enhance smooth staff relations and accountability.
- Work with the Regional WASH Program Manager to handle WASH donors, support donors and partners’ visits, briefings and meetings
- Promote major cross cutting themes including environment, gender, protection, disability, peace building and core values of the organization
- Ensure implementation of project activities in line with UP’s safeguarding policy and procedures. This includes ensuring promotion of a positive culture of openness and transparent where team members are able to raise concerns.
- Participate in program development and fund-raising initiatives, including developing concept notes and proposals
- Support UP’s business drive to run its rig unit as a social enterprise that delivers sustainable, cost effective and quality services
- Represent UP at national sector technical forums, events and meetings, where agreed with Regional WASH Program Manager
- Ensure safeguarding issues are implemented and reported in all WASH projects
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Regional WASH Program Manager
Qualifications, skills and experience
- At least BSc Degree in Engineering, Water Resources Management, Public Health, Environmental Health & Related Fields. An MSc degree in these areas will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in WASH in an international NGO
- Strong character traits, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity and integrity;
- Proven experience of managing donor(s) funded projects or programs;
- Good computer skills including MS Word, Excel and internet;
- Knowledge and Experience in WASH infrastructure, Community Based Management (CBM), Sanitation Marketing and Systems strengthening approaches
- Demonstrable understanding of safeguarding risks and mitigating actions.
- Experience in developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems including e-monitoring
- Experience in proposal development, budget preparation and report writing;
- A full clean driving licence and ability to drive a four-wheel drive manual vehicle is essential.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written in English
- Creates and encourages a climate of team-work and collaboration in a diverse cultural environment.
- Consistently achieves high-level results, manages and delivers projects on-time and on-budget.
- Has high-level management and supervisory skills;
- Result oriented and provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others
How to apply:
Qualified and interested candidates who meets the stated requirements must submit a completed Application Form. Please note that CVs and cover letters will not be accepted.
Please visit http://united-purpose.org/s/Job-Application-Form.doc to download the Application Form, and then submit the completed form via email only to applicationsmw@united‐purpose.org
When submitting, please put YOUR NAME_ [POSITION APPLIED] in the email title and application form. Any applications that do not include this in the title will not be considered.
No hard copy / physical applications will be accepted. Closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is midnight of 19th May 2021. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. For more information about UP, please visit our website at www.unitedpurpose.org/malawi/.
UP is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.