Banja La Mtsogolo
Banja La Mtsogolo (BLM) is a Malawian Non-Governmental Healthcare Organization established in 1987. BLM provides quality Family Planning and Reproductive Healthcare including HIV/AIDS information and interventions. BLM is a senior member of the Marie Stopes International (MSI) Partnership which works in 43 countries. BLM exists to improve quality of life in Malawi through family planning and reproductive health care services. BLM serves over 800,000 clients annually and makes a significant contribution to national family planning objectives. The organization has national coverage, operating through 24 clinics, and numerous outreach clinic sites.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Driver (2 Positions) to support in outreach sites.
DRIVER (2 POSITIONS)
Reporting to the Transport Officer, the Driver provides driving services to the team members in order that staff and supplies are transported from one place to another as required in an efficient and effective manner.
Transport Staff Safely to and from Work
• Safely transport staff based on schedules or emergency requests
• Follow all applicable traffic laws – drivers will be held personally responsible for any infractions or speeding fines
• Make sure all vehicle documents and insurances are in order
• Ensure there is sufficient fuel in the vehicle for the current and next day’s travel
• Wear a seat belt and ensure all passengers are wearing theirs before the vehicle moves.
• Drive defensively and ensure the safety of passengers and other road users
• Ensure all passengers are authorized to be in the vehicles
• Ensure all cargo is safely secured or stored
• Make sure the vehicle is returned to the base by 5pm on a normal work day or 6pm under special circumstances. Report any delays as soon as the risk is noted. Park vehicles safely, ideally reversed in.
• Any vehicle movements after 6pm must be approved by the Director of Corporate Services
• Do regular (at least weekly) checks of safety equipment – tools, ropes, triangles, extinguishers, etc.
• Check fuel, fluid levels and tires daily
• Ensure vehicles are clean and tidy, inside and out
• Follow approved maintenance schedules – plan for servicing one month in advance so outreach schedules can be accommodated
• Report any faults or concerns immediately for action
• Be involved in site planning and ready to travel long distances or stay overnight when required
• Assist with physical set-up of clinic space, including unloading and reloading of materials and equipment
• Assist with tent set-up where required
• Support data entry and reporting – be fully conversant and able to use CLIC for entry and data submission or basic computer knowledge
• Liaise with community and youth leaders as required
• Support demand creation when asked to drive through communities broadcasting messages or stopping to speak with potential clients
• Understand and be able to explain the vision, mission, activities and policies of BLM/MSI
• Maintain accurate records of vehicle movements and refuelling in logsheets or logbooks
• Submit monthly reports and liquidations for use of fuel and lubricants
• Report any faults, incidents, accidents, or injuries involving the vehicle or its passengers immediately
• Ensure that all relevant BLM policies and procedures are followed, including logistics, transport, security, and finance
Skills and Experience
• Valid Driving License Class 1
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Good eyesight
• Clean safety record
• Minimum 4 years driving experience, preferably with an NGO
• Able to navigate through rural districts to reach hard-to-reach communities
• Basic or advanced mechanic skills
• Experience and strong interest in working with youth and promoting contraceptives and Family Planning
• Ability to drive safely in 4-wheel drive and through difficult terrains
• Excellent communicator in English, Chichewa and local languages
• Strategic thinker able to turn ideas into action
• Able to perform Data Entry tasks
Attitude / Motivation:
• Practical and proactive approach to tasks
• Commitment to field work, and willingness to travel frequently Strong team player, able to share and document work, as well as communicate effectively with colleagues.
• Acts to inspire others by clearly articulating and demonstrating the values and principles that underpin BLM/MSI work.
• Holds a sense of pride in BLM/MSI and loyalty to the organisation. Supports others to achieve excellent results.
If you are interested and you meet the above requirements, please send your curriculum vitae and cover letter including names and contact details of at least three traceable referees as follows:
• One reference from your current employer or most recent employer
• One reference from your previous employer
• One reference from your last employer and
• One reference from your last but one employer
All applications should be addressed to:
The Human Resource Director
Banja La Mtsogolo
P.O. Box 1854
LILONGWE. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; to reach him not later than 8th May 2021.
“Our organization is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and therefore expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment”
BLM is an equal opportunities employer. No canvassing of any kind is allowed