United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
You will report to the Transport and Protocol Coordinator.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In providing safe and reliable driving services, the Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Additionally, s/he drives the office vehicle for transporting authorized personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the UNFPA office at which s/he is stationed. The Driver interacts with UNFPA staff and visiting officials. External contacts relate to pick-up and deliveries and arrival/departure formalities. In carrying out his/her duties Drivers may collaborate with other UN Agency Drivers for major functions as well as with national and international partners.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
A. Providing transport for UN officials, staff, and visitors as well as logistics support:
- Drive UNFPA staff and officials to meetings, field missions and ports of entry and exit.
- Ensure provision of reliable and safe driving service by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors.
- Driving official personnel and visitors at community level and ensuring that they sign the relevant transport form.
- Obtain security clearance for field missions where necessary.
- Collect and deliver mail, packages and equipment; and maintain records of all deliveries and distributions.
- Ensure that, in the event of an accident involving the office vehicle, the necessary steps required by rules and regulations are followed.
- When necessary, translate in local language for any official personnel using the car who may require assistance in this regard.
- Ensure that all required driving training is successfully completed and certifications are kept up to date.
B. Conducting basic vehicle maintenance:
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle is compliant with the United Nations minimum operating standards and UNFPA’s Vehicle Policy requirements.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc. so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
- Ensure safety and custody of the vehicle, including tools.
C. Providing logistics and administrative support:
- Maintain records for vehicles, logs official trips, records daily mileage, records the use of fuel vouchers, and keeps records on consumption.
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Keep track of insurance and other tax formalities
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required. Assist in the mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications, as required.
Perform any other reasonable tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Completed Secondary Level education.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Valid driver’s license class C
- Possess valid professional Driving licence category P or PG and Defensive Driving Certificate from Road Safety Services
- Two years’ work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Valid / Up to date defensive driving certificate.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions.
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs.