College of Medicine
The Malaria Alert Centre of the University of Malawi, College of Medicine (CoM) is inviting applications from suitably qualified and enthusiastic individuals to fill various positions in a Case Control Study in evaluating the Malaria Vaccine Implementation Project (MVIP). Evaluation will assess the impact of the new vaccine on mortality, vaccine’s safety and the programmatic feasibility of delivering RTS,S/AS01 (malaria vaccine) when introduced through routine health systems in Malawi.
Database Officer (Blantyre)
Reporting to the Research Manager, the Database Officer will provide database management services to Case Control Study in Malaria Vaccine Implementation Program (MVIP) based within the Malaria Alert Centre, including the development of programs for use in the data management process, ensuring
backup and disaster recovery plans are in place, assist data manager(s) in the data management
Development, management and maintenance of Case Control Study databases.
- Safeguarding the performance, integrity and security of the databases.
- Knowledge of and proficiency of programming in a database like SQL or MySQL is required
- Design, development and maintenance of data capture system.
- Implementing edit check specifications as defined by PI and Data Centre Coordinator.
- Assist the Data Centre Coordinator and data manager in data cleaning activities.
- Develop, implement and maintain procedures for regular backup of Malaria Vaccine Trial databases.
- Develop and maintain documentation and standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to Malaria Vaccine Trial databases and data systems development, management and maintenance.
- Development and maintenance of queries, audit trails and reports
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Data Centre Coordinator and PIs
Qualifications and experience
- BSc with credit majoring in Information Systems or Computer Science with 2 years demonstrated experience managing databases
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in collaboration and in teams
- Capacity to communicate
- Organizational skills
- Familiarity with electronic data management systems like Open Data Kit (ODK)
The positions will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff in the College of Medicine. COM is an equal opportunity employer.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and detailed CVs with names, contact numbers and emails of three traceable referees to:
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 13th April 2021. Only short-listed candidates shall be acknowledged.