College of Medicine
The Malaria Alert Centre of the University of Malawi, College of Medicine (CoM) is inviting applications from suitably qualified and enthusiastic individuals to fill various positions in a Case Control Study in evaluating the Malaria Vaccine Implementation Project (MVIP). Evaluation will assess the impact of the new vaccine on mortality, vaccine’s safety and the programmatic feasibility of delivering RTS,S/AS01 (malaria vaccine) when introduced through routine health systems in Malawi.
Research Nurse (Machinga, Balaka, Mchinji & Ntchisi)
Identify and interview study participants, capturing data electronically, collect, process and store biological samples and assisting with additional study activities in the study districts.
Work with Research Assistants to complete community and health facility-based data collection. These activities include but are not limited to:
1. Assessing participant enrolment criteria and conducting informed consent.
2. Maintain appropriate ethics certifications and trainings.
3. Collect data in accordance with SOPs and the study protocol.
5. Collect biological samples from study participants
6. Conduct basic laboratory tests
8. Participate in continuous study participant’s mobilization and education
9. Assist with administrative tasks as needed.
10. Carry out any other duties assigned by the MVPE PIs or managers from time to time
11. Identify cases whose full verbal autopsy have been completed, in consultation with District Manager for the main MVIP study.
13. Ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of the studies.
14. Assist in all aspect of QC as needed.
15. Assist in communication with community and health center leaders.
16. Report any challenges to the District Coordinator or to MVPE case control PIs, Managers or administrators.
17. Assist with maintenance and organization of the study office.
Qualification and experience
- Diploma in nursing from a recognized institution with 3 years’ clinical research experience, or
- Certificate in nursing with more than 5 years’ experience in clinical research.
- Experience in a busy research setting, especially experience in community engagement and field work
- Registered with the Nurses Council of Malawi.
- Computer literate with experience in utilizing electronic data capture, Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet application systems.
The positions will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff in the College of Medicine. COM is an equal opportunity employer.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and detailed CVs with names, contact numbers and emails of three traceable referees to:
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 13th April 2021. Only short-listed candidates shall be acknowledged.