College of Medicine
The Malaria Alert Centre of the University of Malawi, College of Medicine (CoM) is inviting applications from suitably qualified and enthusiastic individuals to fill various positions in a Case Control Study in evaluating the Malaria Vaccine Implementation Project (MVIP). Evaluation will assess the impact of the new vaccine on mortality, vaccine’s safety and the programmatic feasibility of delivering RTS,S/AS01 (malaria vaccine) when introduced through routine health systems in Malawi.
Research Assistant (Machinga, Balaka, Mchinji & Ntchisi)
Work with District Research Coordinator to complete community-based data collection by identifying and interviewing study participants including travelling to hard-to-reach areas, and assisting with additional study activities in the study districts.
These include but are not limited to:
- Assessing participant enrolment criteria and conducting informed consent.
- Maintain appropriate ethics certifications and trainings.
- Collect data in accordance with SOPs and the study protocol.
- Participate in quality control of informed consent documentation and all aspects of data and sample collection.
- Identification of facilitators and barriers to quality data collection and report these to the District Research Nurse.
- Participate in continuous study participant’s mobilization and education
- Carrying out any other duties assigned by the District Research Nurse, Research Managers or PIs from time to time.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of the studies.
- Assist in all aspect of QC as needed.
- Assist in communication with community and health centre leaders.
- Report any challenges to the District Coordinator or to Principal Investigator, project leaders, or administrators.
- Assist with maintenance and organization of the study office.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in social science, social work, community development or nursing from a recognized institution.
- 3 years’ experience in clinical or health related field research.
- Good recording keeping, time-management and organizational skills.
- Ability to adhere to good clinical practice.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to develop and maintain good relationships.
- Good communicator in Chichewa and English.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- A clean valid motorcycle riding license
The positions will attract a salary with benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications as applicable to contract staff in the College of Medicine. COM is an equal opportunity employer.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with copies of relevant certificates and detailed CVs with names, contact numbers and emails of three traceable referees to:
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than 13th April 2021. Only short-listed candidates shall be acknowledged.