United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The success and impact of the UN’s programmes is dependent on its ability to actively and strategically engage and involve all stakeholders and build strong synergies to deliver, increase and sustain development efforts. The UN realises that communications is at the core of its developmental assistance and has a fundamental role to play in communicating the UN’s strategic direction to staff and stakeholders alike.
Communicating as One UN ensures coherent messaging from the UN. It improves the quality of dialogue with the host-country government, increases advocacy and helps to highlight results achieved by the UN at the country level. Communicating as One improves the efficiency and effectiveness of common messages and communication products, by pooling expertise and resources. It also plays an important role in building support for the successful implementation of “Delivering as One” with external partners and UN staff.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Development Coordination Officer (Programme Communications and Advocacy), the Communications Officer will support the implementation of communications and advocacy strategies for One UN in Malawi. He/ she will also work in close collaboration with Communications Focal Points in several UN Agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct media content analysis on issues related to UN’s thematic areas and produce daily media monitoring summaries;
- Contribute to communication of development results achieved with UN support in Malawi;
- Contribute to development and implementation of One UN communication and advocacy strategies in Malawi;
- Contribute to web management functions, including updating content on UN Malawi website and social media platforms;
- Develop high quality content, including articles/ stories and press releases, in support of identified UN goals, strategies and programmes for external and internal audiences;
- Produce high quality communication materials and publications such as newsletters;
- Mobilise media for coverage of UN events and functions;
- Take pictures and maintain database of video and picture content;
- Support planning and implementation of internal communication activities;
- Handle logistical and administrative functions related to communications and advocacy functions.
- Support implementation of relevant elements of the disability scorecard project
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field from a recognised institution.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area is required.
- Experience in drafting public information materials (e.g. news articles, opinion pieces, feature stories, press releases, etc.) is required.
- Experience in media is required.
- Experience working with digital communication tools and web-based media is desirable.
- Experience with the United Nations or an equivalent international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Chichewa, both written and oral