United Nations Development Programme
The United Nations Development Program (UNDP), under its Young Professionals Program is looking for highly qualified and motivated young Malawian professionals who have recently graduated from the university, to be placed in the Communications Unit at the UNDP Country Office.
The UNDP Young Professionals Program provides an opportunity for young talented Malawian graduates to gain professional experience and aims at:
- Providing young University graduates an opportunity to start a development career through “on the job” professional development that is based on learning and acquiring invaluable experience from UN Agency programs, policies and operations;
- Allowing the UN agencies to strengthen their own human resource capacity; and
- Providing another form of development aid to the Government of Malawi through the United Nations System, especially targeted at benefiting ministries, departments, non-governmental organizations and private sector institutions that are implementing UN funded programs and projects. The YPP provides a unique opportunity to gain on the job experience and acquire professional skills with guidance and mentoring from technical specialists.
The interested candidates should be 30 years of age or less and should have education qualification of at least a Masters degree. The successful candidates will be offered a Service Contract (SC) for a maximum duration of 2 years, renewable every year. The selected candidates will receive an attractive “all-inclusive package” to cover living and travel costs.
There is no guarantee for a further employment with UNDP after the assignment but the UNDP Malawi YPP program has an excellent reputation among development agencies and government institutions in the country. However, upon completion of the contract, it is expected that the incumbent would have acquired sufficient knowledge, skills and professional competences to pursue a rewarding career in any reputable international organization on a full-time contract basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct media content analysis on issues related to UNDP’s thematic areas and produce daily media monitoring summaries;
- Support communications activities for International UN Days, key and special events
- Provide web management support including updating content on the UNDP Malawi website and social media platforms;
- Develop high quality content, including articles/ stories and press releases, in support of identified UNDP goals, strategies and programmes for external and internal audiences;
- Produce high quality communication materials, publications and tools such as factsheets, Information packs, Project briefs;
- Mobilize media for coverage of UNDP events and functions;
- Take pictures and maintain database of video and picture content;
- Support development and implementation of communication strategies for UNDP in Malawi;
- Support communication of development results achieved with support of the UN;
- Support planning and implementation of internal communication activities;
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the organization of communications and advocacy functions
- Demonstrates integrity by learning and applying the UNDP’s values and ethics.
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- General ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Ability to write press releases, articles/stories and other engaging content for traditional and electronic media in English.
- Specific skills in website management and designing of publications.
- Focuses on impact and results.
- Demonstrates openness to learning and change.
- Ability to work under pressure and minimum supervision
- Proven team building and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop partnerships and networks.
- Treats all people fairly.
- Willingness to work with others in a team.
- Willingness to receive feedback and develop their ability based on the feedback.
- Willingness to work with people of different beliefs and cultural orientations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in Journalism, Communications or any related field from a recognized institution
- At least 2 years of work experience in media and communications
- Be 30 years of age or less
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent publication designing and website management skills
- Very good interpersonal and team skills
- Very good photography skills
- Good research and analysis skills
- Fluency in English and Chichewa, both written and oral