Scope of Work for a Consultant to Facilitate Financial Management Training for Food Processing Small and Medium Enterprises
Program: Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP)
Reports to: Country Program Manager
Position location: Remote
Travel potential: Within Malawi
Start date: October 16, 2023
Duration: 12 days (16th October to 31st October, 2023)
TechnoServe helps people lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the power of the private sector. As a leading non-profit organization operating in almost 30 countries, we work with hardworking women and men in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. The mission of TechnoServe is to fight poverty by helping people build regenerative farms, businesses, and markets that increase their incomes.
TechnoServe is implementing the USAID-funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Processing (AINFP) regional program in collaboration with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS). The program leverages the power of the private sector to create better nutritional outcomes for base- of-the-pyramid consumers and more profitable market opportunities for local farmers. This is achieved by supporting local food processing companies in Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia, and Malawi through remote technical assistance and training from world-leading food processing companies under PFS to increase the availability of safe, affordable, and nutritious food.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The AINFP’s program in Malawi focuses on three main activities: Customized Technical Assistance (CTA); Sector-Wide Training (SWT); and Access to Finance and Business Development Services. Under the access to finance and business development services component, the program would like to recruit a consultant to facilitate the training of about 50 individuals, drawn from 25 food processing SMEs (herein also referred to as foundational clients) in financial management practices. The action is aimed at increasing the capacity of targeted clients to properly document, process, and report financial information that is relevant to their business, which can help them in business decision-making, unlock access to finance, and improve operational efficiency.
THE CONSULTANT ROLE
The program requires a consultant to facilitate the training of selected food processing small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in financial management. Three training sessions are expected to be conducted in Blantyre, Lilongwe, and Mzuzu, reaching a total of at least 50 individuals from 25 SME food processors.
The specific details of the assignment
- Consolidated training materials on financial management principles, practices, and systems relevant to food processing SMEs
- In liaison with the AINFP-Malawi team, deliver three trainings on financial management tailored to the client’s specific needs, experience, and size of the businesses.
- Preparation and submission of final report.
- Consolidation/preparation of training materials; Review the existing finance management content from the TNS library and compile it into a comprehensive curriculum outline and lesson plans for face-to-face training.
- Deliver three (2 days long) face to face training workshops in Mzuzu, Lilongwe, and Blantyre to equip participants with skills, tools, and knowledge on financial management principles, practices, and systems relevant to food processing SMEs.
- Deliver a pre and post training assessment with the support of the Regional Training and Gender Advisor.
- The final training report consolidates experiences, lessons, recommendations, and follow-up actions from the three trainings.
Level of Effort (LOE)
- Training preparation 3 days
- Trainings delivery 6 days
- Report consolidation and submission, 3 days
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The successful consultant should have the following qualifications and experience:
- At least five years of experience in the food processing industry, offering capacity development services.
- Master’s degree in Business Management, Entrepreneurship, Financial Accounting, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, or related fields.
- Previous experience providing business development services to SMEs, at least 5 years.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication
- Track record conducting similar assignments
- Ability to work independently and responsively
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications, which should include the following:
- An expression of interest,
- Curriculum Vitae with details of qualifications and related experience
- Financial proposal quoting only the daily rate in Malawi Kwacha
All applications must be emailed to the address below in one or more files (PDF preferred). You will receive an auto-confirmation upon receipt. DO NOT email your proposal to any employee of TechnoServe or deliver your proposal in hard copy to a TechnoServe office.
Last date for receiving applications by TechnoServe will be midnight on 29 September, 2023.
Failing to adhere to these instructions may make your application ineligible for consideration. Only short-listed candidates or consulting firms will be contacted
Post expires at 11:59pm on Monday September 25th, 2023